(1) Defined. Legislative actions involve the creation, amendment, or implementation of policy or law by ordinance. In contrast to other types of actions, legislative actions apply to large geographic areas and are of interest to many property owners and citizens. Legislative actions are only taken after an open record hearing.
(2) Decisions. The following decisions are legislative, and are not subject to the procedures in this chapter, unless otherwise specified:
(a) Zoning code amendments;
(b) Adoption of development regulations and amendments;
(c) Zoning map amendments;
(d) Adoption of the comprehensive plan and any plan amendments; and
(3) Planning Commission. The Planning Commission shall hold a public hearing and make recommendations to the City Council on the decisions listed in subsection (2) of this section.
(4) City Council. The City Council may hold a public hearing on the decisions listed in subsection (2) of this section prior to passage of an ordinance or entry of a decision.
(5) Public Notice. Unless otherwise provided for herein, notice of the public hearing shall be provided to the public at least 14 days prior to the hearing by publishing notice as provided for in CMC 14.40.040(2). In addition to publishing notice and posting notice at City Hall, at least 14 days prior to the hearing the City shall mail notice of the public hearing to the applicant, relevant government agencies, and other interested parties who have requested in writing to be notified of the hearing. If the legislative action is for a comprehensive plan amendment, notice of the public hearing shall also be posted and mailed pursuant to CMC 14.40.040(3). The City may also provide optional methods of public notice as provided in CMC 14.40.050.
(6) Appeals. The City Council’s final legislative decision may be appealed together with any SEPA final threshold determination by filing a petition with the Growth Management Hearings Board pursuant to the requirements set forth in RCW 36.70A.290, as currently adopted and hereafter amended from time to time. (Ord. 17-16 § 13; Ord. 09-16 § 4 (Exh. C); Ord. 02-09 § 2)