(1) Qualifications. Members of the Planning Commission shall be selected from individuals who have an interest in environmental affairs, planning, land use, and residential and commercial development as evidenced by training, experience, interest or actions. An intent of the selection process shall be to evenly represent the areas of interest as stated herein. Membership in the Planning Commission shall consist of seven members appointed by the City Council. Members must live within the City limits or within a three-mile radius of the City limits.
(2) Number of Members – Terms. The Planning Commission shall consist of seven members. To allow the staggering of terms for the initial Commission, positions shall be numbers one through seven through a random drawing. The initial terms of positions one, two and three shall be for two years. The initial terms of positions four, five, six and seven shall be four years. Subsequent terms shall be for a term of four years. Terms shall commence on September 1st and end August 31st of the respective years. If a member is not appointed for a new term on September 1st, the incumbent member may continue to serve in that position until such later date when a member is appointed for a new term. The date a member is appointed to their term of office shall not affect the expiration date of that term. When a vacancy occurs on the Commission, the replacement member shall be appointed only for the remainder of the unexpired term.
(3) Appointment. Members of the Planning Commission shall be appointed by the City Council. Members shall be confirmed by a majority vote of the City Council. Commissioners shall be selected without respect to political affiliations and shall serve without compensation.
(4) Removal. Commission members may be removed by the City Council at any time pursuant to the Covington City Council Rules of Procedure, as amended from time to time. Failure to qualify as to residency within a three-mile radius of the City limits of Covington shall constitute a forfeiture of office. The decision of the City Council regarding membership on the Planning Commission shall be final and there shall be no appeal therefrom. Members finding themselves unable to attend regular meetings are expected to tender their resignation.
(5) Vacancies. Vacancies occurring other than through the expiration of terms shall be filled for the unexpired terms in the same manner as for appointments as provided in this chapter.
(6) Conflicts of Interest. Members of the Planning Commission shall fully comply with Chapter 42.23 RCW, Code of Ethics for Municipal Officers, Chapter 42.36 RCW, Appearance of Fairness, and such other rules and regulations as may be adopted from time to time by the City Council regulating the conduct of any person holding appointive office within the City. (Ord. 13-20 § 2; Ord. 09-14 § 1; Ord. 25-01 § 1; Ord. 28-97 § 2)